[mythtv-users] Motorola VIP 1200 and 1216

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Wed Jun 13 22:22:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 12:28:39AM -0500, Joe Harvell wrote:
> Trey Thompson wrote:
> > Well, I had the service installed today.  It seems pretty cool so far.
> > 2Wire Router (Model 3800HGV-B), Motorola VIP 1200 STBs and a 1216 DVR.
> > Of course, Myth is 10 times better.  :)
> >
> > Now, can anyone recommend good ways to try and start figuring out if I
> > can get the native recording's or native video streams off the STBs?  I
> > guess I'm limited to using the outputs on the STBs?
> >

> Trey:
>
> I know you are interested in capturing the raw video streams between the
>  router and the VIP 1200.  Here is something that may get you started.
> I notice that the MythTV source has support for a virtual capture card
> that really records video transport streams over UDP.  I have never used
> it, but I looked at the source code (SVN version 13110 from the
> release-0-20-fixes branch) and found these code comments in
> mythtv/libs/libmythtv/crcnetworkrecorder.cpp.  Note:  You need to make
> sure that support for this recorder was not disabled (via
> --disable-crciprec) when MythTV was compiled.

This would be fantastic, if it works.  However, isn't it likely that the
data stream being sent from AT&T is encrypted?

Trey mentioned something in an earlier post about the DVR being able to
share its recordings with home PCs.  Probably via a Samba share (well,
Windows shared drive or whatever it is called in the Windows world).
Trey, if you have a Windows machine you might see if this is true.

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org
Never underestimate the power of a small, tactical nuclear weapon.