[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Tuning Problems

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Jun 13 04:10:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 19:50 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> R. G. Newbury wrote:
> > You need to describe exactly what goes wrong, get some logs and post a
> > bug report on trac, because that is the only way this will get solved.
>
> Really? I've almost always found my 'bugs' to be an error situated somewhere
> between keyboard and chair! :)

The "mythbackend -v record,channel,siparser" log will hopefully
tell us exactly where the problem lies. :)

> Either William or Daniel suggested turning on 'Quick Tune'. But I can't find
> it anywhere in mythtv-setup.

This is only available in SVN head, in the 'Input Connections'
pane. If you haven't already tried SVN head, you should. Even
without 'Quick Tune' there are several additional hacks that
work around problems with bad info from the stream. For example,
we added encryption monitoring to the signal monitor. This was
actually a requested feature for DVB countries where people can
buy or rent "Conditional Access" modules in order to receive
restricted content, but it has the side effect of allowing you
to tune to ATSC and MPEG channels where the streams are
mislabeled as being encrypted. The UPN network at one point a
couple years ago began labeling their OTA streams, which by
law are not encrypted, as being encrypted. We added a special
case hack at the time, but with encryption monitoring we catch
all such cases.

-- Daniel