[mythtv-users] Moving house: service options in the UK?

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 21:18:44 UTC 2007

I have virgin (nee telewest) cable TV, broadband and phone, and Myth of
course.

The broadband comes in via a cable modem, then ninto a wireless router via
100MB ethernet. Cable TV box is a Scientific atlanta dvb4200 (at the mo cos
it died a couple of days ago, and I'm waiting for another box).

I record from the cable box using a pvr-150, composite video to scart, the
cable box does not output svideo though. I have a simple IR blaster which is
a IR transmitter diode, hooked up to com1 (think it's the simple one - no
resistors or other circuitry). Works great 98% of the time.

Prior to virgin we had sky tv (telewest bb and phone though), again with
myth. Same setup - when I changed boxes all I did was reload a different
lirc config file, and change the channels manually.

Quite happy with the reliability of the service though, mind you I'm
thinking of dumping the premium telly channels and just sticking with
freeview, as that's all we seem to watch or record. the movie channels are
all accessed via a red key, and then a pin, which makes sheduled recording a
pain, although there's not much worth recording!

hope this helps.