[mythtv-users] Fedora 7, is all in order yet?

Mike LaPlante mike at dividia.net
Mon Jun 11 22:09:00 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:

>>> nvidia on F7 works here quite fine, have you tried the ATrpms' kmdl
>>> packages for nvidia?
>>>

>> Yeah I'm using ATrpms 9755. In fact lately the only repo I leave
>> permanently enabled on my myth boxes is ATrpms. I ran into some trouble
>> with a freshrpms or livna x264 package screwing up my mytharchive. So
>> now-a-days I do an --enablerepo for the few packages I can't get off
>> ATrpms.
>>
>> Anyhoo, my symptons are as follows:
>> -- with X running on the nvidia 9755 module and kernel 2.6.21-1.3194 as
>> soon as I start mythfrontend the X server crashes and I'm brought back
>> to a GDM login.
>>

> Any errors in the logs? Can you run glxgears with acceptable
> performance and no crash?
>
> (BTW what hardware was that? Maybe you need a legacy driver?)
>

>> -- with X running on the nv module mythfrontend starts but looks like
>> its in 8 colors. Then when I exit myth X restarts.
>> -- with X running on the nvidia module and Xinerama enabled,
>> mythfrontend segfaults... (I'm not really sure if myth CAN run with
>> Xinerama enabled, never tried, but this particular frontend is a dual
>> monitor machine in a spare room.)
>>

> I know that xinerama/twinview can't share xv across the screens (at
> least I think I know that), so that could be an issue.
>

>> It's possible none of that is related to the kernel bug mentioned in
>> this thread, but I kind of gave up trouble shooting it until a new
>> kernel is released. Been patiently waiting for that to happen for a
>> little over a week now.

You were right, glx wasn't properly setup. I never really thought to
check. I had run the nvidia-graphics-switch, and I was seeing the Nvidia
logo when X started, so I just kind of ass-u-me-d nvidia was all setup.
I ended up comparing my FC6 xorg.conf to my F7 and copied and pasted
these 3 lines into the F7 xorg.conf

    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"

Under the Files section. I could be mistaken but I think the
graphics-switch thing is supposed to add those. I don't remember ever
having to do that. Myth seems to work now. Crazy, oh and xinerama is
disabled for the time being, was still getting segfaults with that.

Mike