[mythtv-users] Machine lock up and disk thrashing

Philip Stubbs stuphi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 10:51:13 UTC 2007

Hi, I wonder if anybody can help?

I have recently installed MythTV on my desktop machine that is
running Ubuntu 7.04. The setup was a bit of a pain, but it seems to
be working well now. The back-end seems to be working great and I
have left it running for a couple of days to record some shows that
I thought may be interesting.

The problem I have is with the front-end running on the same machine.
After it has been used for a little while, I will try and do
something, like watch a different channel or recording, and the
machine grinds to an almost halt, with the hard disk thrashing away.

The machine becomes so slow that I can't even run a virtual terminal
so that I con see what process may be causing the problem.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what the problem may be? How
can I determine which process is killing the system when the whole
thing becomes so sluggish that it is unusable?

Regards,
--
Philip Stubbs