[mythtv-users] I am thinking of going to DISH

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 9 04:32:53 UTC 2007

Tim Litwiller wrote:
> Both p4 machine I could use only have one serial port.  I haven't use an
> rs232 serial port in years I almost forgot about them.

So you'd need a USB-serial adapter for the second receiver if you went
that way, if the receivers you used had serial control. That's a couple
of big IFs.

LIRC-based blasters need a serial port, and generally won't work with
the USB-serial adapters. The MyBlaster runs from a serial port, but will
work with a USB adapter.

So the only way to control 2 receivers of any type would be with an
add-in serial card or a MyBlaster with USB adapter for the second
receiver, or just possibly a parallel to serial converter, but that's
starting to get ridiculous.

BEWW