[mythtv-users] SVN MythWeb and Video, cannot create video_covers symlink

Mike LaPlante mike at dividia.net
Wed Jun 6 22:29:24 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/02/2007 11:41 AM, Mike LaPlante wrote:
>
>> From: "Michael T. Dean"

>>> No, but if you did have it enabled, you'd get the results you're getting
>>> with the configuration you've shown.
>>>
>> Sorry, maybe I'm missing what you are hinting at. I don't have that option enabled, yet I'm still seeing these results.
>>

> I'm saying ignore what I said.  You verified that's not the cause.  It's
> something else, but I don't know what.
>
> Mike

Recapping hoping someone might have a suggestion.

In short, if I delete my /var/www/html/mythweb/data/video_covers symlink
each time I click a video related link in MythWeb then everything works.
If I leave the link in place (the link that mythweb itself just created)
it gives me this error ...

Could not create a symlink to /home/mythtv/.mythtv/MythVideo, the local
MythVideo artwork directory for this hostname
(myth.laplantefamily.net). Please create a symlink to your MythVideo
directory at data/video_covers in order to use the video artwork
portions of MythWeb.

I was glancing over the handler.php file in the mythweb folder, but my
php skills are limited to pretty much Hello Word. :-/  But that file is
the only file I see references to video_covers. This is obviously the
the part where I'm getting stopped at...

// Create the symlink, if possible.
    else {
        $dir = setting('VideoArtworkDir', hostname);
        if ($dir) {
        // You can't symlink on windows
            if (strtoupper(substr(php_uname('s'), 0, 3)) != 'WIN') {
                $ret = @symlink($dir, 'data/video_covers');
                if (!$ret) {
                    custom_error("Could not create a symlink to $dir, the local MythVideo artwork"
                                .' directory for this hostname ('.hostname.').  Please create a'
                                .' symlink to your MythVideo directory at data/video_covers in order to'
                                .' use the video artwork portions of MythWeb.');
                }
            }
        }

Maybe that means something to someone.
It may be worth noting that my original install was Myth-20.1-fixes, I
then upgraded to SVN. I know there were significant changes to MythWeb
in SVN and I had to reconfigure it.  Also I notice in
/var/www/html/mythweb/data/ there are symlinks to my music directory and
stuff, all those seem to work which leads me to believe my apache is
configured right in regards to symlinks.

Thanks
Mike