[mythtv-users] How to stop always recording my live TV

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Jun 6 19:09:36 UTC 2007

Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> That's exactly what I'm trying to do.  I went to:
>
> UTILITIES/SETUP | SETUP | TV SETTINGS | PLAYBACK |  VIDEO RECORDINGS
> (RECORDING GROUPS)
>
> And saw a setting called: "Default Group Filter To Apply"

Yes, this sets which group you initially see. However, what you
are really looking for is that last checkbox at the bottom of
that page: "Show 'LiveTV' recordings when using "All Programs"
filter". Make sure this is unchecked so that LiveTV recordings
are not shown and are only shown when specifically choose the
"LiveTV" group.

> The next question is how do I force autorecorded shows to a "Live TV" group

You can't make it do otherwise =). Live recordings are hard coded
to be in the "LiveTV" group.

> and pre-selected shows to a "Pre-Selected" group?

I believe the real answer to your question is above but to this
question at face value; you can select the "Recording Group" for
any recording rule in the "Storage Options" section. The default
is "Default" but you can create a new group name here and all
the recordings from that rule will be associate with that group.
For example, you could create a "Movies" group and choose the
"Movies" group for any rules that will record a film.

Next, you can change the recording group for any recorded show
from the Watch Recording page. Press "I"nfo then Change Recording
Group. You could move a previously recorded movie into your new
"Movies" group or you could make a new group name here.

Back to LiveTV. say you watched something live earlier in the day
and later thought you'd like to see that again. You could change
to the "LiveTV" group (the only way to see these once you've
unchecked the "Show 'LiveTV' recordings..." option). Watch it again
or, if you still want to keep it, change the Recording Group for
this live recording to Default or any group other than "LiveTV".

This is one of the advantages of keeping the live files temporarily.
Another is that while watching live, you can rewind back into the
previous show from before you changed channels.

--  bjm