[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 350 dvd playback no sound

robinlee_r at yahoo.com robinlee_r at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 18:08:22 UTC 2007

Hi Jonathan,

At the moment, I have X going through the computer monitor as I haven't been able to get X to display to the TV screen, every time I've tried to make it to work, I can see the Tv flashing going green for a sec or two, then bunch of horizontal lines, Ubuntu goes on the monitor screen, I never get to see anything on the TV, and then monitor goes black displaying only a dash on the screen and TV never kicks in, I have rechecked the configuration, according to the guides I found on the net, and everything looks fine, my only doubt is when you get to input that value that needs to be converted from hexadecimal to decimal, mine displays 02:09:00, and converted to decimal should be the same, so I am not sure why X fails to dsplay on the screen, resolution is 720x600 I believe, but it's not a huge resolution set on X at the moment.

Xine started from within mythdvd, I set it up from from the myth setup, before I was using the internal, and it would send the signal out to the TV instead of the monitor, but I had no sound, it weird as I get the same from mythtv, I click on watch TV live and the computer blanks the monitor and TV goes on with sound and image.

Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> wrote: On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 20:25 -0700, robinlee_r at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> I rechecked my settings, and still no sound out of the dvd playback. I
> installed the xine player just to give it a try, as I have seen on
> some sites, that the player was better than mplayer, and I switched it
> on the frontend settings, now I do get sound but not TV out signal
> only image on the monitor and not on the TV anymore, I can only smile
> at the irony of having switched to another player and get the opposite
> problem.

So, you have a monitor connected to a regular video card as well as the
TV connected to the PVR-350? Where does the X session display? Where
does mythfrontend's GUI display? Where do you start Xine from? Xine
displays DVD video in pretty much the same way that MythDVD does, so
it's a surprising problem.

Using the ivtv and ivtv-fb kernel modules and the ivtvdev Xorg driver,
the PVR-350 should function as part of a regular X display, with the
XVIDEO (Xv) extension, which is needed for playing DVDs or any non-TV
recording. If you have X running on both monitor and TV, one might be
called ":0.0" and the other either ":0.1" or ":1". This value in the
DISPLAY environment variable is what determines where an X client shows
up.
--
Jonathan Rogers