[mythtv-users] DVHS and MythTV

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 20:19:43 UTC 2007

On 6/5/07, James Klaas <jklaas at appalachian.dyndns.org> wrote:

> On 6/5/07, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 6/4/07, James Klaas <jklaas at appalachian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > > I've had a mythtv setup going for a while, but I have yet to try to
> > > attach anything via firewire.  I have an older DVHS deck (JVC
> > > hm-dh30000u) with firewire on it.  Before I wade neck deep into trying
> > > to get this to work, does anyone have experience getting a DVHS deck
> > > hooked up as a tuner?  Would it even work that way without some sort
> > > of IR blaster to change the channels?
> > >
> > > Are there any howtos/documents on getting this to work?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > James
> >
> >  Could you be more specific about what you are trying to do?  Do you
> want to
> > capture video off of DVHS tapes?  Or do you want to use the ATSC tuner
> in
> > the VCR to capture OTA signals?
> >

> > --
>
> Actually, it only has an NTSC tuner, but I would like to be able to
> capture that through the firewire. I'm also interested in knowing if I
> can change the channel through firewire.
>
> James

I would bet that nobody has done this before.  So you will probably be the
first.  Weather it will work or not depends on how strictly the VCR
manufacturer followed the ieee-1394/firewire protocol for A/V devices.  I
assume that the VCR is several years old.  I'm not sure when the ieee-1394
A/V interface was 100% standardized.