[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 350 dvd playback no sound

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Jun 5 18:47:28 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 07:34 -0700, robinlee_r at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> No, I haven't been taking attention to the console from where I run
> mythfrontend,  I left the sound configuration with /dev/dsp/,
> alsa:something (I don't get alsa:default), mixer and master option on,
> should I change them to mixer and PCM?, I would double check tonight.
> I am using Ubuntu 6.10, I was reading last night that mythdvd for
> ubuntu does not work properly, but I couldn't find any alternative
> source to get a proper version.

The ALSA device named "default" is simply the default device and should
always exist. You can change it if necessary, but you probably don't
need to. Putting the string "ALSA:default" in a MythTV configuration
text box simply means that MythTV should use the device called "default"
in the ALSA namespace.

MythDVD works just fine on Ubuntu; I've used it on Edgy and Feisty.
However, to play encrypted DVDs, you need to install the libdvdcss2
package, which isn't available by default, for which you can thank the
US DMCA.
<URL:https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/musicvideophotos/C/video.html#video-dvd>
--
Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net>