[mythtv-users] ATI w/XvMC

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Jun 5 13:10:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 12:36 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
>
> > However, I'm skeptical about its value. I'm seeing similar HD playback
> > performance on my Athlon64 systems using either a Radeon 9600 with the
> > "radeon" free driver and an Nvidia 6600GT using the Nvidia proprietary
> > driver and either plain Xv or XvMC.
>
> I've noticed on my nVidia GeForce 6200 that XvMC appears to do almost
> nothing to reduce CPU consumption, at least when playing SDTV MPEG2
> streams.  The difference is a few percent at best, almost
> undetectable. (I don't currently have an HDTV tuner.)  By contrast,
> VIA XvMC on my miniITX system makes a dramatic difference in CPU usage.

That's very interesting. On my machine, XvMC (using either an FX-5200 or
a 6600GT) seems to help somewhat with frame/field timing, though it
doesn't make it perfect, so Bob deinterlace still has very distracting
jumpiness. It also tends to cause longer (.5 second to several seconds)
pauses sometimes, which is even less acceptible. Like you, I see very
little difference in CPU usage using regular Xv or XvMC.

A low power Via-based frontend does seem quite attractive. However, it
doesn't seem very likely to be good enough for HD playback at this
point.
--
Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net>