[mythtv-users] ATI w/XvMC

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jun 4 13:49:57 UTC 2007

Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> ATI supports motion compensation in hardware...but their proprietary linux
> driver is a question mark.  (I've been through the release notes and can't
> find mention of it).

I was basing my comment on the following:

"The ATI display drivers for Linux do not support XvMC. Despite the fact
that all Radeon hardware has support for MPEG-2 acceleration, ATI has
never provided access to these capabilities in Linux."

Which was found at:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC#ATI_Radeon

> I don't see an XvMC related .so file, but enabling XvMC in the front end
> does improve playback (inconsistently)...

If it does improve anything I'd guess it's because of something totally
unsupported.

BEWW