[mythtv-users] Is the Digital Future bleak?

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:17:32 UTC 2007

> I have an Athlon 64 4200+ X2 playing a "planet earth" episode

> > timestretched at 2x as I'm typing this. I'm running Ubuntu edgy 64. I
> > built an smp kernel myself, but there's nothing special about it.
> > I've got myth deinterlacing and resizing the stream to 720p which is
> > native for my TV. I can actually watch HD timestretched while
> > comflagging a couple of other shows simultaneously with no skipping
> > or choppiness of any kind. This is w/o the use of XvMC also. I would
> > think your box could do the same, if not better. -J
> >

> So what CPU usage do you get at normal playback?  What about at 1.25 and
> 1.5 and 1.75?  Mine goes well over 100% of one core before 1.5x (usually
> around 1.35 or so), and since the decoding is not multithreaded, causes
> prebuffering pauses.
>
> Sorry, I've been swamped lately and havn't had the chance to look yet.
I've never actually bothered to look. All I know is that I have never had
any stuttering, pausing, or any other performance based glitches at any
speed, despite whatever else the box is doing in the background. If I get a
chance, I'll do some quick benchmarks and mail the results to you.

I know it's been mentioned before, but this is a situation where it would
really be cool to have a standard, myth-centric script that can gather
hardware/software specs, and play back a reference clip in various manners
and record benchmarks that a person can post to their wiki user page for
easy comparison. Maybe I can throw something together to get the idea
started. It wouldnt be hard just to cat some config info and hardware specs
into a text file at the very least.
-J