[mythtv-users] Avermedia AverTV A180 help? Please?

Gene Stapp genestapp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 02:31:17 UTC 2007

On 6/2/07, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:

> A few months back, I asked for recommendations for HDTV-capable capture
> cards that were well-supported by Linux.  Several people recommended the
> Avermedia AverTV A180; I found one for a really good price, so I bit.  I am
> still having some problems getting it set up under Linux, though.  (I use
> Fedora 6)  I've followed the instructions from several sites, copying the
> firmware to specified directories, etc.  No go, I just can't get it to show
> up in dmesg.  (It appears fine in lspci, though)
>
> When I asked originally, a couple of people mentioned this card would work
> "out of the box".  If anyone has been able to get this card to work with
> their distribution with little or no configuring, could you let me know what
> distribution you are using?
>
> -Marc Barrett

I've had no problem using the directions from the mythtv.org/wiki/ hardware
section. I've set up the a180 card about 4 different times in multiple
computers in fedora 4, 5, and 6
I distinctly remember putting the *dvb-fe-nxt2004.fw* firmware file in the
longer of the two directories it gives you when you download it. What does
running

modprobe saa7134-dvb

do? You should then have a device show up in /dev/dvb/   Right after you run
modprobe saa7134-dvb, go to /var/logs/ and read the dmesg and messages
files.. you'll have to scroll down to the end of them.. it should give you
more information