[mythtv-users] Is upgrading an ancient system using apt-get recommended?

Carl Reynolds mythtv-users at hyperbole-software.com
Sat Jun 2 16:43:00 UTC 2007

David Schmidt wrote:

> I have an ancient box with:
>    - FC3
>    - MythTV 0.18.1 (using the PVR-350
>    - A few videos I don't want to lose.
>
> 1) Is trying to upgrade FC3->FC7 (out today), Myth 0.18.1->current
> ATRPMS and whatever gets dragged along a good idea or a bad one? and

I would definitely recommend you not try this. Particularly if your
system is currently working and you want to keep the video on it.

I have a box with MythTV 0.18 running on FC6. However, I had to make
modifications to the some of the videoout source code to get it to work.
Also upgrading to kernel 2.6.19 broke MythTV as did upgrading ivtv past
0.8.1.

As was suggested by others, you would better off to create a new systems
from scratch, leaving this one alone and create the new system with the
newest versions of everything.

Carl.