[mythtv-users] vga to scart poor picture quality

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 22:32:30 UTC 2007

On 31/07/07, Robin Neatherway <robthebob at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use a vga to scart conversion cable to get better
> picture quality on my PAL tv in the UK. Basically, however, the result
> is one of poor picture quality. This is especially true when in
> playback mode where the OSD looks appalling when brought up. Text also
> looks as though it may be being scaled, as it is very difficult to
> read. I was under the impression that video quality would be the best
> using this method, but perhaps my TV is trying to be too clever?
>
> I am using the following modeline:
>
> ModeLine     "1024x576pali" 19.7 1024 1058 1138 1263 576 581 585 625
> -hsync -vsync interlace
>
> Any experiences, positive or negative, would be great to hear about.

Have you got a PAL-spec modeline setup for 720x576? I'd start with
that, get it looking nice, and then think about using higher
resolutions that might cause problems. Other things like having a
suitable DisplaySize for the aspect of the TV and possibly changing
the size of your fonts also apply.

I'm running 1024x576i with deinterlacing with no issues, apart from
some overscan losing the very bottom of the screen. It's definitely
worth persuing as the picture is better IMO than with S-Video and
_nearly_ as good overall as my PVR-350.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: