[mythtv-users] mythbackend idle timeout does not start

John Veness John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk
Tue Jul 31 17:09:00 UTC 2007

Leighton Brough wrote:
> There is another alternative here for getting ACPI sleep/wakeup to play
> nicely with mythtv, instead of making your suspend script kill the
> backend. I made some relatively trivial hacks to the backend source so
> it can handle a system shutdown operation which doesn't cause the
> backend process to shutdown as a side-effect. Without this, the backend
> can't keep running after a resume as you would expect, without being
> stopped and restarted. The net result of this change is that you don't
> need to stop and restart the backend. My hack (svn diff) looks like this:

[snip]

> Basically this is a two line change which makes sure that 1) the idle
> time is correct after resume, and 2) the backend doesn't get permanently
> hung up thinking it's in the process of shutting down.
>
> I'm using an oldish version of the 'fixes' 0.20 branch (details in the
> cut'n'paste above), but If you're happy coding in C, then this should
> point you in the right direction. In a perfect world I'd submit a patch,
> but this would require some more though as the hack above may not
> necessarily work for everyone, so it might need yet another config
> option to be added.
>
> This has been working well for me for a long time now and helps quite a
> bit in making my combined front/back end suspend and resume quickly (<
> 10sec) which is a very good thing for the WAF.
>
> As far as I can see there should be no need to shutdown and restart mysql.
>
> Leighton

That looks like a useful hack Leighton. It would be great (assuming it
meets the approval of the main devs) if it was accepted as a patch.
Anything which speeds up the resume time (as long as not at the expense
of reliability and so on) is a Good Thing.

Cheers,

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user