[mythtv-users] Random mythbackend exits

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Tue Jul 31 09:17:30 UTC 2007

> This wiki was a little frustrating but I finally got something working with
> monit.
>
> 1) as far as I can tell, the command "monit monitor mythbackend" does
> nothing unless you have already manually typed monit to start the daemon.
>
> 2) I believe there is an error in the supplied monitrc file in that the
> mysql command does not have "start" or "stop" arguments.
>
> Once I commented out the mysql portion of monitrc (and the depend
> statement), typed monit to start the daemon, then went onto the web page to
> manually start monitoring mythbackend, monit indicated it was now monitoring
> mythbackend.
>
> I haven't tested the init.d portion yet...

Another note, in the Wiki it mentions:

start program = "/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start"

change this to:

start program = "/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart"

Depending on your distro and init.d script it may cough up a hairball
if theres a preexisting PID file for the backend and not attempt to
run it at all, this causes serious issues restarting if the backend
has crashed, as usually the PID file is still there.

Ubuntu suffers from this, dunno if any others do.

--
Andrew Williams
w: http://nikdoof.net
e: andy at tensixtyone.com