[mythtv-users] A fond farewell, for now

M.K. Smith hownowbrowncow at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 03:00:02 UTC 2007

Just powered down my Shuttle SN41G2 running MythTV 0.18 on Fedora Core 2
for the last time after using VideoRedo to pull off the last few "Blue's
Clues"
episodes for burning to DVD.

Too bad, too ... the Hauppauge PVR-250 and Myth could be controlled from an
ordinary universal remote and I hardly ever touched the wireless keyboard.
But the old CRT TV croaked and the Philips 1080i HDTV that replaced it sure
revealed the shortcomings of the recordings as I'd set it up way back when.

I tried fiddling around a bit but realized that with three small children
and a
small business I just don't have time to rebuild the Mythbox with the latest

of everything and mess around with ivtv, nvidia drivers, etc.

So I have gone over to the dark side and rented a Motorola DCT6400 series
PVR from Cox.  And ya know what?  It's not that awful.  There's no Mythweb,
of course, and I can't pull shows off for archiving to DVD but I have all
the
kids' DVDs I could possibly want after three years of the Mythbox and ...
it's TV.  It's just not that important.

If Cox here would actually obey the FCC and activate the Firewire port
I'd've
gone ahead & played around with MythTV again, but the Cox DVR has
dual tuners and now I can record the Science Channel and G4 which
I couldn't before.

Kudos to all developers and all of you fighting the good fight.  Onward &
upward!