[mythtv-users] what is the best way to connect to the backend from a Mac OS X frontend

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Jul 30 20:39:35 UTC 2007

On 7/30/07, Tim Litwiller <timlitw at gmail.com> wrote:

> I got mythfrontend working on a mac, and live tv works great but I was
> wondering. what is the best method to connect to the /storage/recordings
> folder on the mythtv backend from the mac.  I have samba working and can
> connect to it that with with both a windows machine and the mac.

I don't think for recordings you need to map anything.  Myth will stream
what it needs between backend and frontend.  As for plugins such as Video or
Music, then you need to map something.

I browsed to it with the samba network connector and then created a symlink
> to put the share where i wanted it on the mac - but won't that break if it
> goes to sleep or I reboot.

Doesn't the Mac have the equivalent of autofs to automatically reconnect
when needed?

I read somewhere I should use a nfs share but that it is hard to setup and
> insecure.  My home network is nated behind a linksys firewall and my isp
> blocks common ports so I'm not terribly worried about security on this
> machine.

NFS has always worked fine for me Linux to Linux.  I don't see why it would
be any different for Linux to Mac.

Kevin