[mythtv-users] New to list, replacing Sky+, DVD, etc

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 09:42:30 UTC 2007

On 7/30/07, Andrew Williams <andy at tensixtyone.com> wrote:

> On 7/29/07, Matt Bruce <lists at jumile.me.uk> wrote:
> > As I own the Sky gear I have and still have the Sky satellite card, my
> > understanding is that Ch4&5 are fine with that card (I'll essentially
> > be a "Freesat from Sky" user as per http://www.freesatfromsky.com/
> > with ~200 video channels and ~95 radio channels). So if I build a PVR
> > that can take the card (a CI slot?), will that not allow Ch4&5
> > decryption?
>
> Sky's encryption system is "in-house" to NewsCorp, so no CAMs are
> available for NDS (as far as I know). You'll have to use a Sky box
> with a PVR-150 or its ilk to get full channel access.

A Dragon or T-Rex CAM will work with a valid Sky card to decrypt whatever
channels are allowed on your Sky card (anything from just the freeview to
the premium channels like Sky Sports if you've subscribed).  You need to put
the card overnight in a Sky digibox every 2 months or so to get the new
keys.

You can't do two channels simultaneously though - so I'd have one DVB-S card
connected with the CI to the CAM for the encrypted channels, and a second
that's connected to your other LNB that can pick up the ones that don't need
decoding at all (BBC, ITV, Film4, Sky News, CNN, etc).