[mythtv-users] Forcedeth, HDhomerun and frame errors

Alex Halovanic halovanic at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 04:41:26 UTC 2007

I'm having some strange problems with recording from my HDHomerun.
When I record a show and live commercial flag it, the show ends up
garbled in many spots.  At first I thought that I was just hitting the
limits of my disk I/O, but now I don't believe that's the problem,
especially as I've never had so much as a skip recording and
commercial flagging 2 SD broadcasts at 2gigs/h each.  My ifconfig
output contains a large number of frame errors when I have garbled
recordings:

          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1089396061 (1.0 GiB)  TX bytes:370867 (362.1 KiB)

ethtool reports these frame errors as "rx_over_errors."  I'm guessing
these are some kind of buffer overflows.  Is more priority going to
reading from the disk than the LAN, or maybe some kind of interrupt
problem?

I have an nvidia nForce 430 onboard Gigabit device, using the 2.6.22
kernel forcedeth driver, running at 100Mb/s.  I have over a gig of RAM
and a dual-core AMD64, running in a pure 64-bit environment.

I'm willing to try anything anybody might suggest, as this is driving
me nuts, and nothing I've tried has had any effect so far.