[mythtv-users] New to list, replacing Sky+, DVD, etc

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 20:46:12 UTC 2007

On 7/29/07, Matt Bruce <lists at jumile.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the list, so thought I'd say hi... and ask for some advice.

Welcome :)

> I live in the UK and have just cancelled my subscription from Sky+
> (the paid services are rubbish and they're ridiculously expensive),
> which I understand will leave me with "Freeview via satellite" but no
> ability to record onto the inbuilt HDD. I'm not interested in hacking
> the Sky+ box, as it's rubbish, so I'd rather divert the £450+ per year
> I was paying into building a decent satellite PVR.
>
> I know there are a few of these on the market at £450+ (like the
> Topfield TF5510PVR and TF6000PVR), but I'm no stranger to PCs, Linux,
> networking, etc, so figured I'd look at building one based on MythTV.
> I'd like to put together something do satellite reception and (legal)
> decoding, record to HDD, watch one channel/record one channel, with
> EPG and wired/wireless Ethernet - and perhaps to integrate a DVD-RW,
> so I can get rid of my old DVD player and record stuff to disc.

As a started for 10 - are you wedded to satellite or do you have
reasonable digital terrestrial reception?

Satellite is easy enough to set up (I have a mixture of both on my
system) but satelllite comes with certain limitations at the moment.
 - you still can't get channel 4 and five unencrypted via satellite
(and e4 I think).
 - the (non-encrypted) satellite epg is only now and next - not 8 days.

Regards

Mark