[mythtv-users] Power outages and UPSs

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:59:14 UTC 2007

On 7/27/07, DaveD <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:
> I keep reading posts from people on this list about having problems
> after power outages.  APC makes UPS's that talk quite nicely to Linux
> boxes via the apcupsd (APC UPS daemon) that sell for $25!

Where the heck did you find that? The shipping alone on my latest ups
purchase was about that. I have been getting $75US PCM 800AP models at
work because the APC ones were around $300 for anything that lasted
more than 7 minutes. What wattage are you using? I find that anything
less that 500VA is worthless. I guess a really cheap ups could work if
you get the power of your system down to 50W or something like that
but this requires that you have only 1 hard drive installed or they
can all go to sleep.

John