[mythtv-users] Motherboard with AMD 690G / ATI Radeon x1250 - any good for mythtv?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Jul 26 14:52:06 UTC 2007

On 7/26/2007 2:42 AM, Bob wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2007 18:28, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
>
>> I also have a 4600+ on that board which ought to be
>> fast enough to do without XvMC.  (This is the third system which I've
>> built with intentions to get MythTV working, and still no HD...
>> sigh...)
>>

> You say '...ought to be fast enough...'.
>
> Should I infer that you've found a 4600+ is NOT powerful enough to decode HD
> without XvMC, or just that you haven't got around to trying it out yet?

The 4600+ is definitely fast enough.  I bought it first when I wasn't
sure just to see how much processor I really needed.  I have posted this
before in the "Hiper ... First Impressions" messages, but will restate
here.  1080i source material playback was 50% of one core. 720p source
material playback was 65% of one core.  This was when the processor was
actually running at 1.8GHz (running cool-n-quiet), this cpu is actually
a 2.4GHz processor, but clocks down to 1GHz or 1.8Ghz depending on
load.  I am now running a 3600+ on my HD frontend and it keeps up fine.
I don't have updated usage figures for this one though.  And this is
*not* running xvmc.

--
David