[mythtv-users] Motherboard with AMD 690G / ATI Radeon x1250 - any good for mythtv?

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Thu Jul 26 03:34:06 UTC 2007

> On Thursday 26 July 2007 14:08, Daniel Agar wrote:
> [snip]
>> > But... it's got a Radeon x1250 onboard graphics.  Am I asking for
>> > trouble?
> [snip]
>>
>> I just bought an Asus M2NPV-VM, which has everything onboard including
>> tv
>> out and dvi. I put an X2 3800 in it and have been playing 720p and 1080i
>> (recorded through firewire from a STB) reliably on a 720p lcd, without
>> xvmc. The Asus M2N-MX is also a good option with the same stuff onboard
>> but a bit cheaper as it doesn't have firewire. I paid just under $100
>> Canadian for the M2NPV-VM, the M2N-MX is about $80. Oh and my board has
>> an
>> spdif connector but I currently only have a receiver capable of stereo.
>>
>> I don't know how well these ati/amd chipsets work in Linux but I know
>> the
>> ati cards a headache.
>
> Thanks for that, Daniel.
>
> I hadn't considered those boards, mainly because the hardware vendor site
> was using had them listed as 10/100 LAN (and the MX as a standard ATX) so
> I'd
> filtered them out... looks like I'll have to go back and eyeball each
> board... grrr.
>
> The VM looks good.  No S/PDIF onboard from what I can tell from the manual
> though, need to buy an extra addon card.  Do you know if you've got a
> newer
> revision or something?
>
> Definitely looks like the TV-out addon card is included in the box.
>
> From what you and Todd say sounds as if I better treat the ATI graphics
> chips
> like any other snarling, foamy mouthed woodland creature.  I'll keep my
> distance I think.
>
> Thanks.

The VM definitely has gigabit. I can't tell you specifically what revision
I have as I'm currently in another city working on that box remotely.
According to this
(http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011194&cid=MB.526)
the M2N-MX is matx and has gigabit.
This is where I got my board.

I had one of those s/pdif connectors lying around so I used that, but they
don't cost much. http://www.pccanada.com/viewitem.asp?id=1802
Kind of expensive for what it is though, but still not much.