[mythtv-users] Motherboard with AMD 690G / ATI Radeon x1250 - any good for mythtv?

Bob maillists.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 00:27:50 UTC 2007

Hi.

I'm researching hardware for my first mythtv box.  I want to set up a mATX
diskless frontend, based on a Athlon64 X2 4800+.

I'm looking at a Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, because of the Gb ethernet, TV-out
and the HDMI output.  The extra two channels of sound might be good too.

But... it's got a Radeon x1250 onboard graphics.  Am I asking for trouble?

As I understand it ATI doesn't support XvMC, so I might be better of with a
nvidia < 8xxx.

An alternative I'm considering is the Abit NF-M2, with a nForce430 (GeForce
6150) chipset.  But it doesn't have TV-out onboard so I'll need an extra
video card anyway... probably a nvidia GeForce 7600 with an adapter for HDMI.
In which case I might as well add the extra card to the Gigabyte board given
it's only 65% of the price of the Abit.

If I was to add another video card to the Gigabyte (maybe continue using the
onboard for a third display to an LCD monitor) is the rest of the AMD 690G
well supported by Linux?

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Feel free to recommend other hardware,
though we don't have a very good range here in NZ.

Thanks.
Bob