[mythtv-users] Seeking Advice

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Jul 25 20:30:20 UTC 2007

i'd think that the pci solution would be better. I had 3 of the pvr-500's in
my system at one point and had them all recording at the same time, and was
also playing a recording back, and the system handled it just fine. P4
system, but still.

As for usb, i tried to make my recording hard drive USB (via an external
caddy) and ran into trouble, playback was not smooth while recordings were
going on...not sure why...but i put the drive back inside the computer and
everything was fine again. It was usb 2.0, so i am not sure what the reason
for this was.

Also, you can add a pci card that gives you usb ports (we sell them at my
company). That way, you have a second usb bus so that if you are maxing out
the main usb bus, you can put more usb stuff on the computer and have more
bandwith to play with. But realistically, usb tuners won't max out the
bandwidth available (i would think).

-steve