[mythtv-users] Using Microsoft Access as a front-end to the MythTV database: HOWTO

Dave Phillips family_of_phillips at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 18:58:03 UTC 2007

David Segall <david at segall.net> wrote:

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Um okay.
Perhaps my reply was a bit too cryptic. I find Microsoft Access and
OpenOffice Base the best database front ends around. They can be used
with any database, they have a simple spreadsheet interface to a single
table or the result of a complex query. The spreadsheet can be used to
cut and paste repetitive data and change, insert or delete data from the
database. They will compose SQL statements from an interface that anyone
can use that would otherwise require a database expert. They also have a
simple, inbuilt programming language to automate frequently used or more
complex tasks.

If the dollar signs in your response were a protest against my use of
Microsoft software then they should also appear in My$ql.

If you believe that the task of connecting Access to an ODBC database is
too trivial to warrant a HOWTO you may be right but I posted it because
I believe that there are many MythTV users who have not thought of using
Access and/or are not familiar with ODBC.

I would like to know exactly what you didn't get and why the um in your OK.

> */David Segall /* wrote:

  My "um okay" was a too quick response to your own quick response. ;-)
  The $ signs were just a feeble protest against Microsoft's empire, but at least MySql is free for us still. (isn't it?)
  Like I said in a later post I did think it was a good wiki and you are right in that alot of people wouldn't have been aware of the ability.
  It just wasn't what I expected, sorry to have looked like I was insulting you or your work.
  I also reread my first post and I seemed to have somehow missed a couple of words. I didn't mean it as a challenge.
  And with that I will probably stop responding to this as it isn't really relevant to myth anymore.
  Dave