[mythtv-users] Moving recordings between storage directories

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 12:43:55 UTC 2007

On 7/23/07, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> * On Tue Jul 24, 2007 at 11:20:34AM +1200, Robin Gilks wrote:
> > I tried copying a file from the old to the new location, unmounted the old
> > location and it just worked!! I didn't realise that the recording was only
> > tagged with the storage group and the members of the group are searched
> > for the recording in question - I had assumed (wrongly) that the recording
> > was tagged with the actual location it was stored in.
>
> You can even move files between storage groups without updating the
> database.  If the recording file is not found in the proper Storage Group's
> directories, then Myth will look in the Default Storage Group's directories,
> and then it will look in all Storage Group directories.  So you can move
> files around into any valid directory that is defined in any Storage Group
> and Myth will be able to find those files.

If Myth finds the recording to actually be in a different storage
group will it automatically update the database so in the future it
will find it "faster"? Which is I assume the only reason to store what
storage group it is stored in the database at all?

I'm trying to think of how to best set up my TVRage script to use the
Storage Groups feature and this part slightly baffled me =)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!