[mythtv-users] OT: Ubuntu Slow Upgrade Procedure

Mike LaPlante mike at dividia.net
Mon Jul 23 20:35:11 UTC 2007

Ian Newby wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>     I currently have MythTv 0.20 running on Ubuntu 6.10 (using the
> standard reposistory).
>
> However, I would like to upgrade to 7.04 and a newer version of Myth. I
> have read that my tuner (Nova-T 500) may have problems with 7.04 so I
> would like to do a slow upgrade... I'll explain.
>
> I would like to be able to upgrade without affecting the current system
> while the upgrade is in progress, Ie keep 6.10 until I'm happy with the
> installation of 7.04.
>
> With this in mind I would like to boot from the ISO image, and store my
> customizations either on a USB pen drive or the hard disk somewhere.
> When the new version is working correctly, I would like to be able to
> replace my existing 6.10 with the 7.04 version.
>
> Is this a good way forward, and if so, does anyone have any ideas how to
> do it? I want to be able to take my time with the upgrade but be able to
> restore the 6.10 version when the wife wants to watch TV. (so the
> upgrade will probably take about 2 months!).
>
> Regards
> Ian Newby
My suggestion would be a separate hard drive to install 7.04 on, then
reboot into your old working install during critical TV watching hours.
Once you know Myth is going to run how you like it follow the normal
myth upgrade procedures.

If it were me I wouldn't do any important recordings under 7.04 until
after the upgrade. Meaning I wouldn't plan to keep anything I recorded
during testing. It will be easier to move your old install to a fresh
environment, rather than trying to merge the two installs each with 2
months worth of recordings on them.

Just my n00bish 2 coppers.

Mike
Mike