[mythtv-users] Directv with usb 2 serial adapters

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 18:12:50 UTC 2007

On 7/21/07, Tim Litwiller <timlitw at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need help from someone who has done this before.
>
> This might be more a linux question than mythtv question but it relates to
> my mythtv setup
>
> I am running fedora core 6
> with 2 directv D12-300 STB's
>
> I followed the wiki and got usb to serial adapter cord and nul modem cables
> that are the same chip as the recommended and I don't get the /dev/ttyUSB*
> device when I plug them in.
>
> So I enabled the 1 serial port on the mother board - and tried that, but I
> am guessing that I need to specify somewhere the speed to communicate thru
> the port.
>
> Is anyone here willing to  step me thru diagnosing why the usb->
> serial(rs232) ports to initialize correctly? and the see if we can get the
> directv.pl script to make the STB respond?

Ok, you have the serial null modem cable plugged into the computer and
then the usb->serial adapter plugged into the null modem cable and
then the other end of the usb->serial adapter plugged into the stb,
correct?

Ok, on a suse 10.2 with directv.pl I send the command to /dev/ttyS0
not the usb device.

After a recent upgrade I had to modify the directv.pl script to set
the baud rate to 9600 from 115200 that it originally worked with.

#$baudrate = "115200";
$baudrate = "9600";
$serport = "/dev/ttyS0";

#
# Box type, set with box_type command
#
$box_type = "D11";

Notice that the baud rate is set to 9600 and the serial port is /dev/ttyS0

When I set mine up it just worked.

Hope this helps!

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at