[mythtv-users] MythArchive truncating video?

Tom Weichmann tomcw at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 23 16:01:36 UTC 2007

---- Joe Borne  wrote:
> I have had trouble with MythArchive since I first set up my most
> recent system. Since archiving isn't something I did very often I just
> got around to fooling with it over the weekend.
>
> Essentially, ffmpeg kept failing when it tried to run. First I was
> getting the error where it tried to change the permissions in /tmp. So
> I changed the archiving temp directory to /video/mytharchive/tmp
> (mythtv:mythtv permissions). Then I was getting a segfault error after
> it ran for 15-20 minutes. I tried it with several different
> recordings/videos to make sure it wasn't a funky file problem.
>
> So I tried removing and re-installing ffmpeg with yum (I'm running Fed
> Core 6, and Myth 0.2 bleeding edge from ATRPMS). Still no dice.
> Finally I downloaded the most recent snapshot ffmpeg source from the
> mplayerhq.hu site and compiled. I did get an "error 2" at the end of
> the "make install", but everything seemed to have installed properly.
>
> Now when I run MythArchive, everything appears to run perfectly. But
> when I play the resulting DVD, the video/recording is cut off after
> 3-6 minutes. I triple checked all my settings and I can't find an
> explanation for this.
>
> Can anyone help?

I had a similar problem with recordings of 2hours or more being cut off just before the 2h mark. Turned out that just short of 2 hours produced a 4gb file and since I was recording on a VFAT partition,which has a hard limit of 4gb for fiel size,that was my problem. I just reformatted to a linux format (I forget which) and I was good. Not sure if this is realted or not but worth a check.