[mythtv-users] TVRage Importer 0.5

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 14:40:04 UTC 2007

On 7/21/07, Billy Macdonald <billymacdonald at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/20/07, Kevin Hulse <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > A perl script to scrape the TVRage site for show information allowing
> > > the user to import archived/ripped/etc shows into the My Recordings
> > > screen for easy navigation of serial shows.
> >
> > How many episodes have you tried this with?
> >
> > I suspect it will scale poorly at around 20+.
> >
> > That's why I've implemented my NextEpisode.vob hack.
> >
> > Ordering in Recordings by episode number wouldn't be a bad
> > idea in general though. I had a dickens of a time dealing
> > with ordering when I was catching up with Heroes episodes.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I think the answer is it
> scales fairly well.  The script puts the episode number (s03e10) in
> the title to make it easy to know what order to watch them.  Also, it
> inserts the original air date so that they are in the correct order
> when you view Watch Recordings.
>
> I've been quite happy with the script.  I think Episodes work much
> better in watch recordings vs. MythVideos.
>
> To keep the recordings from being accidentally deleted I typically
> hard link all the ones I want to protect in a second directory incase
> someone deletes them on the frontend.

Theres also an option to sym-link the files to the recording directory
as well to make this easier.

I'm playing around with it now to see how it works with the new
Storage Groups feature in SVN. I'm thinking it may make sense to
create a group specifically for shows imported with the script.
Perhaps see if it would be possible to assign the group as "read only"
so a "delete" would only remove the database entry and not the actual
file. Or I could implement a "delete from db" option to the script.

I'm also looking at the request I have listed on my MythTV page,
"would it be possible for the next version to allow direct URL inputs,
in case my files aren't in the right format? So I could have an option
to put in the (poorly formatted) filename as well as the link on
TVrage, and let it take over from there.". Shouldn't be hard and I can
see it as being useful.

oh, and as always, if you find any bugs reply to this thread with
them. and I'm glad so many people are getting good use out of this!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!