[mythtv-users] How to create another DVD Rip quality profile?

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jul 20 15:42:53 UTC 2007

> Scott Milliken wrote:
>> I am currently importing my Battlestar Galactica DVDs to my file server
>> so that I don't have to play disc jockey when I want to go on a
>> binge...   but even the lowest quality setting of "Good" produces a
>> ~650MB file for 44 minutes of a show.  This really should be down to
>> ~350MB in my opinion, because I *cough* hear that you can download
>> episodes online that are about that size *cough* so I'd like to set up
>> another transcoding profile.  The MythTV Wiki doesn't appear to have any
>> information on doing that, unless it's cleverly disguised in another
>> section.  Anybody have insight as to how to accomplish this?

     Relatively mundane defaults for xvid and h264 and mencoder work
pretty well for this. If you are bulk ripping and transcoding, you may
find your own custom batch job to be more effective and less trouble.

     I get pretty good results with xvid using a 1200 bitrate setting
and mencoder. Quality could be better but it's not so bad that most
people would notice. h264 does better but requires more frontend muscle
to decode.

     My xvid files for hour long TV shows come out to about 400M.

     ...a definite improvement over MPEG2.