[mythtv-users] /dev/dvb disappeared

Leighton Brough brough at baremetalsoft.com
Fri Jul 20 11:34:45 UTC 2007

David Whyte wrote:
> On 7/20/07, Jarrod Harch <jarrod.harch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have it working again now.
>>
>> I think the problem was related to changing a PCI 802.11 card recently,
>> for some reason when I moved the DVB card into a different slot it
>> started working again.
>>

> I am glad you have it working again but I think you may have been luck
> this time.  I too had my DVB cards disappear on me intermittently and
> it turned out that I had to run some script at startup to get them
> working.
>
> I am not near my mythbox right now and I can't find the thread on this
>

> list but when I do, I will let you know.
I agree it was quite probably luck this time. I've also got a very
similar symptom with the Twinhan DVB-T cards. It seems the kernel
modules for this are not the best, with some unfortunate regressions in
the later kernels which prevent me from upgrading (in particular an
incorrect usage count which make it impossible to unload the module,
despite claims of a fix). There seems to be some bickering on the DVB
mailing list about these issues, but not much progress unfortunately.

I too had to write a script to keep rmmod-ing and modprobe-ing until the
frontend devices come up correctly. Without this I find 1 or 2 of the
cards in my system (total of 3) don't always initialise correctly. This
is especially noticeable when re-loading the relevant kernel modules
after a suspend-to-RAM (they don't cope with suspend-to-RAM correctly
and have to be unloaded first or they crash the kernel). It also happens
after a cold boot, maybe 1 time in 10 or so. Changing PCI slots seems to
make some difference, but nothing I tried made this completely reliable.
Before I realised what was going on this resulted in most frustrating,
intermittent recording failures.

Here's my script, which I run at boot and on resume from suspend. It's a
pretty nasty hack with sleeps and all, but it works:

echo "restart_dvb: starting DVB modules"
modprobe dvb_bt8xx
until [ -e /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ]  && [ -e
/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 ]  && [ -e /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0 ]
do
  sleep 1
  echo "restart_dvb: some devices failed to start"
  echo "restart_dvb: stopping..."
  rmmod dvb_bt8xx dst_ca dst bt878 bttv 2> /dev/null
  sleep 2
  echo "restart_dvb: restarting..."
  modprobe dvb_bt8xx
  sleep 2
done

I'd be delighted to hear if someone has a more elegant solution to this
problem.

Cheers,
Leighton