[mythtv-users] A prediction is coming true, faster than I thought

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Jul 19 17:57:12 UTC 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 10:17 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> I think it's more about protecting the existing system where artist
> exposure
> is run by payola.  When was the last time the record industry did
> anything
> to indicate any interest in _anything_ that might help artists get
> exposure
> based on popular opinion?

It's probably partly that.  I also think that the record companies
have probably been ticked off for about the last 70 years that they
got cut out of radio licensing.  (Stations pay songwriter royalties,
as part of a compulsory licensing scheme, but no royalties to record
companies.)  Now they're hoping to use the shift to digital radio to
negotiate a piece of the action.

I hope they don't succeed, but I can understand why they're giving it
a shot.  They're running a business and they'd be doing their
shareholders a disservice if they didn't try to grab for every
revenue stream possible.  I think they erred when they initially
overreached, though.  If they'd asked for a small, nominal payment
per song they probably would have met little resistance, but now they
have an all-out fight on their hands.