[mythtv-users] [slightly OT] HDTV cpu

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Thu Jul 19 16:24:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 09:04:39AM -0700, Steve MacLaren wrote:

> I'm currently running with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ for broadcast HDTV
> playback.  Having the second core available for commflagging is nice as
> during HD playback, Xorg keeps one core between 90 and 100%.
>
> Unfortunately there are too many boldface "?" on the wiki page to know for
> sure if this is the performance one should expect for this CPU.  However the
> strange thing is that I see no difference using XvMC or not.  I have an
> Nvidia 6200 using the proprietary nvidia drivers (see the nvidia logo during
> login).  So my results may not be "typical".

Do you have the xorg.conf option "UseEvents" set to true (if you are
using an NVIDIA driver that supports this option?  I know on my single
core system this cut CPU usage way down on HD playback.  I'm pondering
upgrading to a dual core CPU so the data point would be nice.

Pat

Patrick Ouellette                 pat at flying-gecko.net
kb8pym at arrl.net                   Amateur Radio: KB8PYM
Living life to a Jimmy Buffett soundtrack
"Crank the amp to 11, this needs more cowbell - and a llama wouldn't hurt either"