[mythtv-users] tv resolution !?!

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 08:20:18 UTC 2007

On 18/07/07, Matt Rude <mythtv at mattrude.com> wrote:
> Hasse R. Hansen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > My hardware is a GeForce EN7300 graphics card, and a Hauppage PVR500
> > tv-tuner card.
> >
> > My tv signal is cable, my tv is a 32" widescreen LG HDTV,
> >

> > 1. When im on DVI->RGB converter and connecting the mythtv to the RGB
> > Input on the TV, i can go with 1280x768 in the GUI, and some smaller
> > (like 7xx*4xx or so) when im watching live tv. Very grainy, like it's
> > stretched both ways.
> >
> > I heard from someone that it should be possible to be a totally clean
> > and nice tv signal.
> >
> > But unfortunately not,
> >
> > Anyone who is able to help me ?
> >

> > 2. I have an DVI -> HDMI cable to connect to the tv, but when im using
> > that, i cant get the GUI resolution to be more than 640x480. I have
> > tried everything there. ??
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > Hasse R. Hansen

> Since it looks like (from your email address) you in denmark, witch uses
> PAL.  Try running at a resolution of 720x576 and see if that cleans up
> your picture.
>
> Im in the USA so can't be of much more help since we use NTSC

and check the capture settings for your PVR500.  Bitrate is more
important that hight resolution (In fact increasing resolution without
increasing the bitrate significantly will make the recording worse.  I
think if you search the lists and documentation you'll find plenty of
examples of settings that work.