[mythtv-users] A prediction is coming true, faster than I thought

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 20:24:16 UTC 2007

>From: David Brodbeck
>
>On Jul 18, 2007, at 7:28 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> > Ironically, the record industry has done a great job of creating a
> > situation where one can get a better quality product illegally.
>
>Eh?  Last time I tried one of the illegal file sharing networks, it
>was full of badly-encoded 128 kbps MP3s.  Finding anything at a
>decent bitrate (I consider 160 kbps the bare minimum) was just about
>impossible.

That may well be...I don't use them.  For myself I rip from CDs and encode
with lame using "-abr 192".  I meant better in terms of being unencumbered
by DRM.  To me a DRM protected file is an intentionally flawed product,
regardless of how it sounds.

I would think that, if someone is really concerned about fidelity, they'd
probably want the original raw 16 bit 44.1k audio anyway.

Tom