[mythtv-users] OT: Quiet hardware for gigabit firewall

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Jul 18 20:15:34 UTC 2007

I'm posting this here because you folks have lots of experience with
quiet but powerful boxes.  Please forgive the off-topic excursion.

I need to build a firewall to sit between two gigabit ethernet
networks.  It's going to be physically located in a classroom /
computer lab, so it also needs to be quiet.  Can anyone suggest some
hardware that would give good performance in this application without
a lot of noise?  Gigabit is pretty demanding of the bus architecture
and CPU.  (One rack-mount server I have uses 40% of its 2 GHz CPU
just for interrupt handling, when it's shipping packets between its
two gigabit interfaces at full clip.)