[mythtv-users] How do I choose which input livetv starts with?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 01:09:16 UTC 2007

On 17/07/07, Billy Macdonald <billymacdonald at gmail.com> wrote:

> MythTV starts a scheduled recording on the Foxtel.
> A user sits down to watch TV and changes the channel on the Foxtel.
> Latter, someone goes to watch the recording and midway through the
> channel changes.

Then there's the 'mythbackend is restarted whilst SOs are watching
regular TV' fun. The backend executes the channel change startup
script on startup (for which reason I've never been sure as it's
re-executed for LiveTV and recordings) thus ruining the current
program they are watching. I've asked in the past about this behaviour
but never had a clear answer.

In my experience (we have two cable STBs both hooked up to backends,
but we'll likely get rid of one of them) I just make sure that my SO
knows that there are recordings due and to use LiveTV within MythTV -
this way you never have a problem with the channel being changed
externally. With channel changing so much slower in MythTV than using
our regular cable box, we always watch LiveTV in the living room
outside of Myth.

On another frontend using a LCD monitor there is no way to watch
LiveTV from the cable box apart from via MythTV, so that at least
cures the issue on that box.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: