[mythtv-users] A prediction is coming true, faster than I thought

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jul 17 17:43:18 UTC 2007

Kevin Hulse wrote:

>> You have to be careful of headlines containing phrases like "single
>> mom", it's a loaded phrase that has nothing to do with whether the
>> individual broke the law or not, it just immediately gains sympathy from
>> some readers. Would you have interpreted it differently if the writer
>> had said "unwed mother"?
>
> 	...actually, that makes the plaintiff seem even more
> pathetic. It brings the image of a welfare mother to mind or
> some other sort of person that has problems just eating.

It's just that when I see a "news" story that contains totally
irrelevant information, I become very suspicious of both the content and
the motives of the writer/publisher.

> 	The "moral" element of unwed could go either way.

Of course the person involved could be a widow, or even a rape victim.
The "moral" issues are totally non-topical, why was that information
even in the story, much less the headline?

> 	It still comes off as eggregious bullying though.

Absolutely. I can't imagine anyone would disagree with that.