[mythtv-users] OT: Stream Music around the house

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 08:56:46 UTC 2007

Jack McGee wrote:
> Damian wrote:
>> As ever, cost is an issue. If the best solutions are expensive, I guess
>> I could just wire metres of stereo cable around the house. That may even
>> be the best option come to think of it.
> My myth box is connected to 1980's model stereo, which I have wired it
> to in-ceiling speakers I installed in all the rooms.  Simple volume
> controls in each room.  Not a solution if you want different sources in
> different rooms, or remote control of volume, but it is cheap and
> effective. I used Audiosource speakers and they sound perfectly
> acceptable to me.  Also got some Insignias from Best Buy for $40 for
> above kitchen cabinets.
>
> My Windows PC is connected via USB to a RCA Lyra, which is a 900 mhz box
> transmitter  It shows as a sound card to the PC, and transmits to it's
> own receiver, which has line level output for stereo.  I use this as a
> second source into stereo and also to to get sounds to detached garage.
> I paid about $20 for the Lyra transmitter and two receivers.
>
> This is the poor mans way to get whole house audio.
>
> I graduated from a Ramsey FM transmitter kit, connected to stereo, I
> just listened on clock radios and table radios throughout house.

Thanks for everyones replys. Much appreciated.

The Apple airport sounds good, but I don't want to use wifi in the
house. If you could use cable with them instead, I'd consider them, but
even then it sounds like you're locked into iTunes. Don't like the sound
of that.

The Squeezebox sounds like just what we could do with. May be a bit out
of my price range though. I'd be wanting 2 or 3 of them probably. Not
sure how much I could get them for in the UK, but I think it'd work out
to be a lot. Maybe I could get the older versions cheaper? But I guess
the pay off with that would be an inferior product. The UI of the latest
model looked good from what I could see on a video. Not sure what older
models would be like.

I guess my other choices are running speaker cable around the house or
transmitting a kind of radio channel as Jack is suggesting. I know
nothing about the latter.

Damian