[mythtv-users] controlling directv D12-300 via usb

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue Jul 17 04:38:01 UTC 2007

On 07/15/2007 11:35 PM, Tim Litwiller wrote:
> I recieved my 2 d12-300 directv recievers.  They have a usb a
> connector on the back of them I find that people are suggesting
> getting 2 usb 2 serial cable and a null modem adapter between them. If
> I usderstand correctly that is what these data transfer cables that
> computer places are selling with new Windows Vista machines to
> transfer your setting and data from your old computer to the new
> computer.  Does anyone know how those cables work - is there a chance
> that they wold work?

I haven't tried it myself, but I doubt the Vista cable would work.  The
reason the USB to serial converter cables work is because they have a
USB-RS232 chip that the Directv receiver supports (and also that Linux
supports on its side).  In order for the Vista cable to work it would
most likely need back-to-back RS232 converter chips in the cable.  That
would be very inefficient as RS232 max can be about 400Kbits or so (some
are higher), while USB can be 480Mbits.  If you get the cable for free
or cheap go ahead and try it, but don't get your hopes up.  Also, if you
have a free RS232 port on your computer (or two in your case) you don't
need a USB to RS232 converter for the Myth side.

--
David