[mythtv-users] Help me choose: pcHDTV HD-5500 or AirStar-HD5000AV-PCI

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 01:31:14 UTC 2007

Nicolas Riendeau wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Meatwad wrote:
>> Have you considered the HD Homerun? I've yanked my AirStars and replaced
>> them with an HDHR and couldn't be happier. Significant drop in case temp
>> and power consumption. Built-in IR receiver which talks to lirc just
>> fine. I never had any trouble with the AirStars which I started using
>> with FC5 but I can't comment on the PC-HD5500.
>
> That device seems very interesting but I was wondering how hot it actually gets? It
> has vents but probably no fan and since it's normally (or at least frequently) always
> open it probably gets pretty hot and never "gets a break"...
>
> Thank you for your help!

Well, both tuners are active right now the case feels much cooler than
the bare tuner cans of the AirStars. I can hold my hand on there as long
as I like whereas removing my fingers from the cans became involuntary
after about 8-10 seconds with the cards. That's a significant delta in
temperatures.

By coincidence, I have the day off tomorrow and was planning on
rebuilding the BE after adding another terrabyte. Time permitting, I'll
chuck in one of the AirStars and break out the thermocouples to get some
hard numbers.

--
mw