[mythtv-users] Help me choose: pcHDTV HD-5500 or AirStar-HD5000AV-PCI

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 23:36:54 UTC 2007

Marc Barrett wrote:
> I am looking for advise, as I am trying to choose between two cards to use for recording
> shows from a digital cable TV service.  I am looking for something with QAM-256 support,
> and am trying to choose between a pcHDTV HD-5500 and an AirStar HD-5000.  I am
> attracted to the former because it is supposedly very well-supported for Linux (Jarod Wilson
> says that "pcHDTV's cards are built with Linux support as their primary focus", although
> despite that I've seem some complaints about the pcHDTV HD-5500 on this forum); and
> the latter is attractive because it is about $40 cheaper.
>
> -Marc Barrett

Have you considered the HD Homerun? I've yanked my AirStars and replaced
them with an HDHR and couldn't be happier. Significant drop in case temp
and power consumption. Built-in IR receiver which talks to lirc just
fine. I never had any trouble with the AirStars which I started using
with FC5 but I can't comment on the PC-HD5500.

Just my .02

--
mw