[mythtv-users] OT: Stream Music around the house

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 17:11:57 UTC 2007

On 7/16/07, Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:

> What would you do (or what are you doing) to stream music around a house
> into rooms that don't have PC's?
> As ever, cost is an issue. If the best solutions are expensive, I guess
> I could just wire metres of stereo cable around the house. That may even
> be the best option come to think of it. I have a wired network between
> all my machines because I'm over paranoid of WiFi health risks.
> Especially with a new baby on the way.

I think that the Squeezebox http://www.slimdevices.com/ is a brilliant
option.  It is can be either ethernet only (cheaper) or ethernet/Wi-FI
(slightly more).  I have two - and they are brilliant.  One is connected to
my (relatively) high-end valve amp hi-fi and the sound quality is great and
the other in the bedroom.  I run the slimserver on my Myth backend  (which
is always on) and you can either select music with the remote (works well)
or a web interface.  It also connects to the Internet for Internet Radio,
and includes pre-sets for things like Radio 4, Virgin Radio, etc - which
saves having radios.  You can even synchronise playback so music playing
from different rooms is in sync.

It's not the cheapest option though.

Congrats on the new baby - (and taking this even more OT) since you are
paranoid about health risks from WiFi - make sure you buy baby bottles that
are not made from polycarbonate - google bisphenol-A for more info.