[mythtv-users] endpcnoise.com barebones amb

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Mon Jul 16 03:19:26 UTC 2007

When I first started building my system about 3 years ago, I had a lot
of trouble with the 64-bit stuff (apps not pre-built or supported at
all, trouble building apps, etc), but things have improved greatly.  I'm
running Fedora 5 with current updates and a Myth .21 RPM from Atrpms,
all x86_64 and all works well.  I'm using Nvidia's proprietary driver
from RPM but I've run their installer/compiler, too, all fine.  I use
Mplayer for videos (or Mythvideo), Xine for DVD's, burn CDs and DVDs
with K3b, QDVDAuthor, have a flash card reader that pops up Gwenview
when a card is inserted or my camera plugs in, etc, etc, etc.

One exception is Mozilla; I run the 32-bit version so Flash and Java
will work (no 64-bit Flash or Java plugins available, STILL!!).

I've tried running 32-bit OS version (when things were not going well)
and noticed the difference in speed.  The 64-bit builds really do run
faster.  Ubuntu didn't support the 64-bit very well when I first tried
it, but last time it was fully supported.  I recommend it.

DaveD